Dear RSU #34 Community Member,
We write to invite you to join in a future-thinking discussion about additional opportunities we can create for our elementary-aged children across RSU #34. We’re proud to have kids thriving in three elementary schools, and this fall welcomed the biggest Kindergarten class RSU #34 has ever seen! This fall we are also excited to have the opportunity to pilot all-day Pre-K at one location. Our children are engaged, supported, and learning; we’re thankful for wonderful educators and a very supportive community!
This fall we are forming an ad hoc advisory group to take a “big picture” look at elementary schooling in RSU #34 and, if the group sees opportunities worth pursuing, to make recommendations to the School Board. We have fantastic things going on for children, and know that they and our communities are best served in the long-run by occasionally re-examining our practices rather than resting on our laurels.
The advisory group will talk about the “what, how, and where” such as:
• the strengths of our current approaches,
• “wish list” opportunities for our students (such as learning world languages, all-day Pre-K, theatre),
• considering a shift in our Title I services from a “Targeted Assistance” model to a “Schoolwide” model,
• long-term facilities and transportation planning,
• partnership opportunities with post-secondary institutions to create opportunities for our students while drawing in future professional educators, and
• whether we should explore “niche” opportunities at our buildings with space available such as a nature immersion school or a public Montessori school
The advisory group will meet on the following fall dates:
• Monday, Oct. 21st, 6:30 - 8 PM at Alton Elementary School
• Monday, November 18th, 6:30 - 8 PM at Old Town Elementary School
• Monday, December 9th, 6:30 - 8 PM at Viola Rand School
Each meeting will be open to the public and will include a public comment period; we seek to have a core group of advisory committee members that attends every meeting.
If you are interested in participating please contact Dr. Jon Doty, our Director of Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment: firstname.lastname@example.org or 827-3932